Two weeks before my 5K in April, I hurt something in my hip. I think I have just strained a tendon or group of muscles, but it hurts. I pushed through it to get my 5K done then took 10 days off. Last week I decided to test the waters and see how it felt. Improving, but not 100% by any means. This has brought me to a new conclusion – my body cannot do just one form of exercise effectively anymore. I have to mix it up.
This weeks plan goes like this:
- Sunday – I did a walk/run combo of 2.4 miles followed by a lot of stretching
- Monday – 15 min. on the elliptical, 3x 30 sec. plank holds, 3x 15 stomach crunches, 3x 12 torso twists in squat with a 10 lb. kettlebell
- Tuesday – 3 mile walk
- Wednesday – Stretching, Kettleworx week #1 cardio, followed by more stretching
- Thursday – Sprint work at the track (thanks to my good friend Lorraine of TrackMom for this great tip) – 8 laps of sprinting the straights and walking the turn
- Friday – 15 min. on the elliptical, 3x 30 sec. plank holds, 3x 15 stomach crunches, 3x 12 torso twists in squat with a 10 lb. kettlebell
- Saturday – off
The other thing I am going to be more conscious of is hydration and muscle recovery based on what I learned a few weeks ago while at the Gatorade Headquarters. I know that days where I am properly fueled before a workout are much more productive and if I can work on getting good protein in to my system within the 30 minutes after my workout, my muscles should recover faster.
What’s your plan for this week? Join us by posting your Workout for the Week! Plan, share, do and you will SUCCEED!